Saturday 27 November 2010

R T F M

RTFM. Google it. Some dude might as well have said that to me when I asked for help with his software. "It works for me" - he said. Great, but that's no help what so ever to me. Since this isn't Chad Valley software I am working with I do presume it's well tested and actually works. I don't always make that assumption. Thus I assume I have made some error in my configuration, that's why I am asking for help. I have read the manual, diligently worked through the tutorial and the software doesn't do what it should do. It works, it works properly but wouldn't permit it to be used in the advertised manner and in the way I want to use it. An error message would have been more helpful, you, the owner, could have been more helpful instead of telling me to RTFM twice. I know it's Open Source and free and you can't give all your time for free helping people use the stuff you have create, I understand, I make a living in IT Support. But you do have a forum with the title " productname Support" and if you want to have people adopt this stuff and pay for consultency and support they need to get a good impression of it from the start. First impressions last. Faultering on the tutorial leaves a bad taste.

No comments: