Wednesday 3 November 2010

Dark Peak

It was getting colder as we approached the start, the thermometer in the car was reading 0 degrees Celsius. Outside, cyclists were wearing shorts though some were properly muffled up. It was relatively early, the sun was still low in the sky and we were in the shade, the day would surely warm up.

Steve’s front tyre was flat on unloading the car, broken valve. He replaced his tube while I sat in the car keeping warm. Finally about 30 minutes later than planned we started ‘Dark Peak’ with a long climb to Hade Edge, I think. The day was warming up, in the sunshine with the northerly wind behind us it was very pleasant. The air was cool still, it’s October in northern England. Up we went passing two other riders on the climb. On the top we could see that it was going to be a special day. Blue sky, clear and a superb view over the north Peak District with the leaves changing colour as autumn advances. We were heading towards Langsett and then over Strines Road towards the A57. I’ve been on this road before, a few years ago but in the opposite direction. I knew it was hilly, it’s a hilly route in the Peak District after all. Today though, with the recent weather and cold, the roads, particularly the descents were very difficult. The thawing frost was still damp, the fallen leaves were accumulating in the sheltered parts and compressed leaves make for slippery surfaces. Riding into the Sun with no peak on my hat, in and out of shade made actually seeing the road very difficult; coupled with my crashes in the last few years which were with similar road conditions I descended very very gingerly. I was glad of the climbs, non of which were too troublesome. Most were challenging but the speed we rode made them doable.

The first part of the day wasn’t one for hurrying. Super views, little traffic, sunshine, many other cyclists, made it one of those days when you are glad you came out. Lunch in Edale after 50km approximately half way. We missed a turn before this though, just after Derwent Resevoir, probably did about 1km before realising and doubling back. The dark glasses the sunshine and the National Park made it damn nigh impossible to see my track on my GPS. The National Park ? Well, I make my tracks green as they usually show up best. My GPS shades National Parks green too, green on green isn’t very visible and it was hard to see the track with a quick glance which is all I could afford at the speed we were travelling at this point !! At last a flat bit, from Hope to Edale.

The cafe was busy, we arrived at the same time as a group of muddy mountain bikers. They had their coffee outside and soon after we arrived the place was quiet again. Out on the road, the easy pedalling continued for a short while, then the road went up again, for a long time, to take us out of Edale and back into the Hope Valley. There is probably a name for this climb, it was quite spectacular with great views to where we’d been then narrowing until the road cut through a gap in the hill to pop out the other side. It marked the transition to a new landscape, a downhill one out of the hills for a while. Steve enjoyed the main road descent too much and missed a turn, I waited, thankfully he realised very soon that I had stopped and u turned to come back to me. Right, and up another hill then down down down to New Mill. Heavier traffic to Marple but wide roads meant it wasn’t too troublesome. Quick control in Marple. 25km or so to go, only two or three big climbs.

It all seemed much easier to me now, often does in the second half of a ride. The wind that assisted us when heading south wasn’t having much effect when we were heading north. I think the south side of the hills were sheltered but even on the summit of Holme Moss it didn’t seem that windy. It was still sunny and not too cold. After a very long climb out or Marple or was it Glossop we joined the road high up the side of Longendale overlooking the Woodhead road. This is one of my favourite views, seems like a foreign land, the wooded sides of the valley in their autumn colours, the cars on the road so far below us, silent, the barren tops of the hills. We stopped in a car park on the Trans Pennine Trail for the toilets and some water then headed for the last climb of the day, Holme Moss from the easier, Derbyshire side. I’d been up here a month or so earlier, today it seemed easier than then. I’d not spent all day riding into a headwind this time. We cruised up steadily not beaking any records, we kept together and had a brief stop at the top to admire the view. Last time I was here my GPS registered 3m higher than the sign said, 524m, today it was 8m higher, it’s well known that elevation on GPS devices are not very accurate!! It’s all downhill from here, the tarmac had a very thin cover of rain, we’d just missed a shower so we descended carefully and made it to the town about 20 seconds after the Tourist Info. closed – it would been nice to have them stamp out card for the final control. These places justify their existence by the number of callers, I like to support them as I think they add something to a town.

A good ride, challenging but not too difficult to spoil the enjoyment. A nice route made great by the weather conditions on the day. Mostly hilly, 2300m of altitude gain for 106km route, 2.25 AAA points, not much flat but some nice long fast downhills. Some very tricky and dangerous ones too though which on a dry day will be easier.

1 comment:

Greg Melia said...

I take it this was Mike Wigley's perm? It's a good ride, though I finished it in the dark when I did it. I should do it again sometime.

The climb from Edale you describe is known as Mam Nick.