Tuesday 9 June 2009

The Border Raid

I thought about packing twice on this ride. The first time was while riding up England’s second highest road in the rain for several hours, freezing cold with numb hands. I was shivering in the cafe and had started to form a plan: if the conditions hadn’t improved by Brampton I’d get a train back to Newcastle and Darlington. Things did improved, my breakfast helped undoubtedly. After that, things were better, we even saw some sunshine and the views in the Scottish Borders are spectacular in good weather. Clothes dried out, some strategic changes made sure everything was dry before dark in case I needed more layers later. All was well again.
I was riding with Deano who was on Fixed. It meant I had an easy ride as he was not able to go faster than me to put me under and stress. Maybe a little slower than I could go on my own at times but that’s OK, I enjoyed the company, I am too old to spend so much time on my own and with difficult conditions I’d be visiting all the dark corners of mind. We had company of others at times of course, some new people, Dynamo Dan for example and some old friends. People come and go some people are more sociable than others.
This route is superb, some very very quiet roads with splendid views, easy to ride two by two and chat. In the dark though I feel we missed one of the best bits. The climb up to and into Devils Beeftub. A long gradual climb with a long fast descent, I really must pass through here in daylight, the dark descent was a little nerve wracking.
Easy run into Annandale Water Services where we slumbered for 3 whole hours on the floor. Other randoneurs came and went while we were there before we set off just before first light. I felt OK, not too hungry and quite alert. Five of us rolled down to Longtown and then to Carlisle and on the back roads to Penrith. We met Les coming the other way. He had got as far as Penrith then decided enough was enough and was heading to the station at Carlisle for a train back. He’d given it 400 km, considerable more than some folk who had packed in the rain nearly 24 hours earlier.
Breakfast at Penrith. Then the climb of Shap. It shouldn’t have been, we should have turned off sooner and not climbed this big hill. The others stopped behind us and I thought they’d realised the mistake and would have turned back, they didn’t though, then climbed this hill too. The descent was exhilarating, but then we had a most horrendous road to get us back on route. Steep and narrow in places. Poor Dean on one gear. Not much time for recovery on this roller coaster. I went on as our slow progress was starting to make me think that we may be getting close to the time limit. At Sedburgh we were one hour inside, I sat on a wall and had a drink. A passer by asked me if I’d cycled far, about 200 miles so far, he was flabbergasted like most people are !! Dean was about 15 minutes behind me, we quickly controlled and headed on up the road to Garsdale. It’s been a long time since I rode up here and I had no memories of it. It felt easy, I thought the headwind was responsible for our slow progress but Dean assured me it was up hill. He was cruising, slowly but I think my words sped him up a little. Garsdale Head crept up on us unannounced and I was pleased, I knew the roads from here on in and that always makes me feel better. My second thought of packing was starting to dissipate now. At Leybrun we were had hour and a half in hand. Thankfully a tailwind to Ripon. At least no more rain today and some sun. It turned out to be a lovely ride round the Scottish Borders and Yorkshire Dales.
We finally finished with two and half hours in hand. Just fine. I finished during a bad patch, I think I had mentally switched off about 30km too early, the last part became a drag. Never mind, we finished with no real traumas.

No comments: