Tuesday 15 January 2008

Throw down thy crutches and walk

I had my first hospital visit today since I was discharged. It was the first time this surgeon had seen me. A man who uses his words economically, a thinker I hope. I was x-rayed again, he studied them, got me to move my leg and said everything was OK. That was about it. I can now dispense with my crutches and walk unaided when I am strong enough and confident enough. I have been referred to the physiotherapists and need to see the surgical team again in April.

This is the news I was hoping for, everything seemed right to me so it was such a relief to have it confirmed. I can walk, I need some physio to get it right but thing are starting to get back to normal. I wasn't looking forward to an afternoon spent at the hospital, I envisaged lots of waiting around but was pleasantly surprised. Everything went very smoothly only four short waits: when I arrived, for the x-ray, after the x-ray waiting for the images, before my consultation. The consultation itself was pain free, a chat and a very brief demonstration of the movement of my leg. Simple as that.

I had a play about with the CD ROM that I was given containing my x-rays and CT scans. These are pretty impressive, not so much the subject matter but the images and the clarity.


The x-ray and the image above are after my operations and show the internal fixations, the metal plates holding my broken bones together. The cross section below is also post-op and the glinting on the left hand side, my right is the metalwork.










Do you think the cross section of my pelvis looks like a bat or some sort of demon ?












The image below is the top part of my pelvis and shows the break, the horizontal strips are holding the bone in place in the images above

No comments: